Top 4 selected for YOG European continental qualifier
The top 4 athletes from both the boys’ and girls’ competitions at last weekend’s GB team selection competition have been chosen to compete at the Youth Olympic Games European continental qualifier in Portugal next month. The continental qualifier at Caldas de Rainha, the same location that will host the Under 19 European Championships later in August, marks the next step on the path to Buenos Aries 2018.
It means that Warwick’s Georgina Mitchell, Hertfordshire’s Alex Bousfield, Plymouth’s Annabel Denton and Surrey’s Charlotte Cole will compete in the girls’ event in Portugal with Somerset’s George Case, Yorkshire duo Toby Price and Josh Hood and Nottinghamshire’s Kieran Harby featuring in the boys’ competition.
Last weekend’s GB team selection competition at Hartpury saw a high level of performance with athletes knowing a top 3 berth guaranteed them a place at the continental qualifier. In the girls’ competition, it was Georgina who led from Alex after the swim and fence with Libby Tolley 3rd and Charlotte 4th after the opening two disciplines. Having built up a big gap over the rest of the field, Plymouth College’s Georgina and Dacorum MPC’s Alex comfortably held on the top two positions with Annabel, another Plymouth College athlete, charging up to 3rd after the quickest laser run of the day. North Kent MPC’s Charlotte maintained her position in 4th with City of Lancaster Triathlon’s Emma Whitaker and Saint Felix School’s Kamie Lowe moving up to 5th and 6th respectively. With the top 3 qualifying automatically, the selectors decided to choose 4th placed Charlotte for the final place on the team for what will be her first international appearance of the season.
In the boys’ event, it was Kieran who led after the opening two disciplines with Millfield School’s Nick Laws 2nd and Leweston Pentathlon Academy’s George 3rd. However, the gaps between the leading athletes were smaller than in the girls’ field with the order at the top changing dramatically during the laser run. At the end of the 3200m course, it was George who crossed the line 1st with Yorkshire Pentathlon Club’s Toby 2nd and Kieran 3rd , securing the three automatic qualifying places.
Behind them, Yorkshire Pentathlon Club’s Josh Hood moved up from 10th to 4th with Ashford School Pentathlon Club’s James Wilton charging from 12th to 5th with the quickest laser run time of the day. West Midlands MPC’s Guy Anderson edged out Rossall Pentathlon Academy’s Alasdair Moir for 6th. However, as with the girls’ event, the selectors decided to reward 4th place finisher Josh with the final spot at the European continental qualifier next month.
The competition takes place from 10th-13th August with two days of qualifying followed by the two finals for the top 36 athletes in each gender.
- Georgina Mitchell, 16, from Warwick. Currently training at Plymouth College Academy.
- Alex Bousfield, 16, from Cholesbury, Hertfordshire. Currently training at Dacorum MPC.
- Annabel Denton, 14, from Plymouth, Devon Currently training at Plymouth College.
- Charlotte Cole, 17, from Bookham, Surrey. Currently training at North Kent MPC.
- George Case, 15, from Bridgehampton, Somerset. Currently training at Leweston Pentathlon Academy.
- Toby Price, 16, from Alne, North Yorkshire. Currently training at Yorkshire Pentathlon Club.
- Kieran Harby, 16, from Blidworth, Nottinghamshire.
- Josh Hood, 16, from Hull, East Yorkshire. Currently training at Yorkshire Pentathlon Club.
Full competition schedule:
- Thursday 10th August – Girls’ Qualifying
- Friday 11th August – Boys’ Qualifying
- Saturday 12th August – Girls’ Final
- Sunday 13th August – Boys’ Final